When you are involved in an auto accident it can be very overwhelming. You can’t avoid everything but you should be prepared for anything. If you have never been in an accident, you may be unsure as to what to do in the event you may need to use your insurance. Here are some things you should keep in mind to help you deal with the unexpected.
- Carry cones, warning triangles, or emergency flares in your trunk of your car. This warns oncoming traffic, especially on the highway or at night.
- Remain calm, check for injuries and contact the police.
- Have your information ready to go – your ID cards, medical info or any important documents.
- Take notes on all vehicles involved and those who witnessed the accident.
- Let the police and insurance company determine fault.
- Call your insurance agent as soon as possible and state the facts when explaining what happened.